At Permanent People, we speak with many recruiters who want to relocate internationally, with Australia being amongst the most popular destinations.
In the majority of cases, Sydney and Melbourne are the cities most talked about due to them being the most well-known and where a lot of people have friends and families. This is also where Permanent People have the largest number of clients, so it makes sense for people to gravitate towards these great Australian cities.
However, there’s a new kid on the block. Brisbane.
If you’re talking about Australia’s largest cities, from population point of view, it’s Sydney (c. 5.3m) but from a geographic perspective, Brisbane is actually the biggest coming in at 15,825 km² compared to Sydney’s 12.368 km².
And it has a lot going for it as a destination to live. The Best of Both Worlds in fact.
Here’s a little guide to why we think Brisbane is going to be the place to live and recruit in years to come:
1. Olympics 2032 – Brisbane will successfully host the Games in 10 years time, and they won this bid based on the IOC’s remit of the winning city already having the green credentials in place to host the event. This means that Brisbane already has lots of things in place to put the games on, from stadia through to infrastructure – and what a setting to see these historic activities take place. Hosting the games is also providing a massive boost to business in the region as well – great for recruiters!
2. The East Coast Perth – Perth is the sunniest city in Australia, and what attracts relocators there is the less hustle and bustle of a Sydney or Melbourne, which appeals more to people moving with families. Brisbane also has that same kind of vibe in terms of some of the best beaches in Australia, along with loads of activities in Queensland (the state which Brisbane is in) including theme parks such as Dreamworld and Movie World.
3. Industry – Many of our clients have plans to double in size, due to the local Queensland economies plans for growth over the next 5 years. Sectors including Supply Chain, Financial Services, Technology, Construction and Sales & Marketing are all very much in demand, making it a great place for recruiters to ply their trade.
4. The Scene – Boasting many great Restaurants and Bars, Brisbane has a great reputation as a fantastic place to socialise, enjoy life and experience Australia at it’s best.
5. Accommodation – you get more bang for your buck. For the same price as an apartment in Sydney, we’ve heard that in some cases, you can get double the size of accommodation in Brisbane. Prices are rising all over Australia (and the world generally!!), but you can still get some great deals on properties there.
6. Beaches – Come on, it’s one the major reasons people want to relocate to Australia, and Queensland is just about the best place to experience this. From the idyllic Noosa in the North to the world famous Gold Coast and then onto Surfers Paradise, what’s not to love!!
7. Last but not least – “Everywhere in Brisbane is 20 minutes” a local saying. It’s actually more like 30 minutes, but the meaning behind this is that it’s much easier to get about than say a Sydney for example and transporting yourself around this wonderful city is really easy.
So, if Brisbane sounds like your kind of place, and you’re a recruitment professional with agency experience of 2 years and degree, or 5 years without, get in touch with Paul Reid at Permanent People today to discuss your options on making the dream move to Australia.
See our page and current jobs here – https://www.permanentpeople.co.uk/relocating-abroad/australia/